Apply these Strategies to learn from Failure.
As success is a part of our life, so are failures and setbacks in our life. If a person fails in his/her work, then it means that he/she has tried to do work and has aimed for success. If a person does not fail, he has not attempted to do work and has not even sought to succeed.
Successful people might have encountered failure many times in their lives, and then they got successful. Everyone doesn’t know everything. Every person first tries to learn a new thing, and whether it is an activity/studies/work, anything, it does not matter.
And, in the process of learning, people make mistakes. After learning, during a test/evaluation of the intellectual activity, most people fail, whether the failure may be less/more. For example: when children start learning a new language at school, then they might fail at that time, whether the failure is in lesser quantity or more quantity.
After failing a few times/maybe once for some people, the people succeed finally in attaining good results at studies in school, or in work, or achieving their dreams of getting a good and respectful job.
People evolve gradually in their learning process through practice. After practicing properly only, people don’t make mistakes. And, the process of practicing also involves making mistakes.
When you make a mistake for the first time, you practice on the work/study. If you again make a mistake after practicing for the first time, you practice again and again. The process of practicing and learning continues until you succeed in your studies or work and finally become perfect. As there is a thought,
‘Practice makes a man perfect.
Making big mistakes is painful. But, always keep hope in your mind that you can do better than the last time. So, keep on trying. Don’t stay in despair for a long time after making mistakes.
That may bring you into greater frustration and depression, which is not good for the health. Having feelings of anxiety and sadness after doing something by mistake or failing in something is quite normal.
But let that feeling go away after a short time. And, keep on trying to do better the next time, and keep on practicing. Don’t pity yourself for making mistakes. It will not solve anything. Don’t do self-doubt.
Always have high ambitions for your goals. And keep faith in yourself that you can achieve the impossible. So, have higher aims always. And keep on doing hard work with determination and hope. Everything will be fine. Finally, you will succeed in your study or work, and you will give your best performance, and you will be able to achieve your dreams.
‘Making mistakes is an inevitable part of the human life experience. We all make them. What matters is how you learn from those mistakes and grow’.
“Learn from the mistakes of others. You can’t live long enough to make them all yourself.” – Eleanor Roosevelt.
‘The more you sweat in practice, the less you bleed in battle.’
‘To err is human; to forgive is divine.
‘The real mistake is the one from which we learn nothing.
‘You need to give yourself permission to be human.’
There are many people who, after making mistakes, blame other people or other situations for their mistakes. Don’t blame anyone or anything for your mistakes. Rather try to learn from your mistakes and try not to repeat any of your mistakes in the future.
‘To err is human, but to persevere in error is only the act of a fool.’
If anyone else has made a mistake, then also forgive them and forget the mistake that they made. Practicing forgiveness is a good virtue. You will be able to remain at peace within yourself, and you will stay happy also.
What are the different types of failures/mistakes?
It is a type of failure or mistake that can be prevented before occurring. These mistakes usually happen due to deviations from the specified rules and regulations, inattention, or lack of trying.
This type of failure/mistake happens due to the complexity of a system. Despite following the set rules and procedures for safety and risk managing, small or bigger errors are unavoidable. This happens when complicated organizational procedures are involved, and these mistakes can’t be avoided from happening.
These types of errors are considered ‘good,’ which occur fast and in a small amount, and they give us valuable information. These mistakes happen when experimentation is necessary, and they are often iteration dependent, and they provide the outcomes stage by stage, and finally, the approximate right result is obtained. Intelligent mistakes prevent foolish mistakes in the future, and thus losses on a bigger scale are avoided.
The following are a few ways in which you can learn from mistakes or failure, and you can achieve success:
- Accept that failure is a part of our life: Accept your mistake. Don’t try to overlook any of your errors or failures. Try to find out the reason behind your mistakes and solve the problem. After figuring out the mistake, you will be able to know where to improve yourself. So, focus on that area, practice a lot, and then be able to get the right result, and thus, failure can be overcome, and success can be achieved. So, don’t avoid the problem area in your study/work. Just try to solve it. If you are not able to solve it yourself, then try to ask others for help. Anyone or the other will surely help you out.
- Realize it is okay to get upset or anxious: After getting failed in something or making a mistake, you may get nervous or upset. But try to overcome that anxiety due to failure as soon as possible. Don’t keep the feeling in your head. Throw it out from your mind quickly. The sooner you remove the upset feeling from your mind, the sooner you will feel calm and relaxed. And then try to concentrate on improving yourself in that particular work or study. So, try to find ways to release the stress. Do whatever you like to do to feel light-hearted, calm, and happy. You may pursue your interests/hobbies such as listening to music or doing some exercises or playing games. So, you should rebound from your failure and move on.
- Reflect on the lessons: One should learn from his/her mistakes so that any more errors can be avoided from occurring in the future. Don’t make a mistake again and again. Wise people always learn from their mistakes, make them better, and carry on with their work to achieve their goals without stopping. The fools only repeat the same mistakes repeatedly, and thus they fail much more times and finally get the feeling of despair. They get frustrated, or some people even go into depression. Don’t ever let yourself become like this. Instead, practice more and more so that you can improve your work or study and you will be able to give the best results finally.
Ask yourself a few questions such as:
- What lessons did I learn from this failure or mistake?
- What will be the outcomes of this mistake?
- What will be the positive results after I start practicing and improving myself?
- Am I motivated enough to perform well in my work and finally succeed?
- What will be the future consequences of my mistake or failure?
- Own your mistake: Take responsibility for the error done by you. Don’t blame other people for any of your mistakes. Then only people will have trust in you. When you try the next time again, your co-workers or friends will help you in your work and support you.
- Detecting and preventing failures: Try to see possible failures or presently ongoing mistakes. Small mistakes turn into big mistakes because of the reason that people ignore their mistakes. Ignoring one’s errors makes it even more difficult for them later on in life. People avoid their mistakes due to fear because they don’t know how to react, or even due to laziness. People often wait for the problem to go away and put a lot of effort and a large amount of time trying to ignore the problem. And, thus they lose the opportunity to solve the problem while it is still available for decoding. Remember that identifying a mistake or failure at a prior stage will help you avoid getting into bigger mistakes, and thus, you will not repent later on in your life.
Focus on factors or variables in your control
Failures get us a feeling of being defeated or helpless or hopeless. So, don’t try to stick to these negative feelings after failing or after making a mistake. You may feel miserable and de-motivated after you fail. But don’t let that happen.
Stop over-thinking. It will only destroy your mental peace and happiness. So, practice more and more to make yourself perfect. After encountering failure, the thought may come to our mind that some things were not under our control and failed due to some external factors or variables. Don’t allow yourself to have this type of feeling or attitude.
There might be a few external variables or factors that affected our success, but no element in this world is responsible for failing. Suppose there is some disturbance due to which you can’t concentrate on your study or work.
In that case, it won’t affect you completely while working for your success or while performing for something, or while doing some tasks given to you for evaluation. For example, if a student gets disturbed while studying at home, then he/she can find an alternative to look, i.e., he/she can check in the garden or while everyone else is asleep.
Then he/she can concentrate on his/her studies, perform well in the exams of school or college, or for any job exams and interviews. You can work harder, study more and practice more.
You can also learn or work with more concentration. Practice more to improve yourself in your field of work or study. Don’t blame others or external factors for your failures or mistakes, if any. Then only will you be able to attain your goals and achieve success.
There are many reasons for failure such as,
Deviance (if a person tries to deviate from a pre-specified rule or procedure),
Inattention (if he/she does not give much attention to the exact details so as not to make mistakes),
Lack of ability (if he/she is not capable of performing work with the required skillset and has not got the necessary training),
Process inadequacy (if a potential person follows the prescribed rules but defective ones),
Task challenge (if he/she finds the task very difficult to perform in the required time),
Uncertainty (if he/she does not have any idea of how and when to give the required results and what is exactly needed).
‘Victory is not final, and failure is not fatal; it is the courage to continue that counts– Winston Churchill.
You will experience times when you will have happiness, peace, and everything else in life, and you will feel like you are winning every time. But there may also be times when you might get frustrated and lose hopes and determination to try for success after failure. In those situations, keep up your self-esteem and feel that you are worthy of everything good, and continue pursuing your dreams and goals in your life.