Surrounded by negative thoughts throughout your day? Here we will help you provide you tips on “HOW TO AVOID NEGATIVE THOUGHTS”
“Keep your face to the sunshine and you cannot see the shadow” – Helen Keller
Every morning after we wake up, our first interaction with the outside world can be by two major sources. First are the daily newspaper and the other one being the social networking sites. The information that we receive through them can either be filled with a lot of positivity and motivation, or it can be depressingly negative and that’s the last thing we want to start our day with. Also, it will not be a wise decision to completely cut off these sources from our life, assuming that this will improve the quality of our thoughts and bring up our happiness index. Because let’s be real, we are social animals and nobody can simply survive on their own detaching themselves from what’s happening around the world. Just like the famous yin-yang theory, all the data that our brain processes have two aspects- negative and positive. Controlling what’s happening around is not in our hands but how to train our brain to have control over how the negativity affects us is completely in our hands.
Listed below are few common habits which mostly lead to a negative mindset in one way or another:
- Giving more priority to other opinions
- Having a tendency to find a sign of something negative amongst any positively healthy situation
- Comparing personal achievements or goals with that of others
- Depending upon others for your happiness
- Sticking on to some unfortunate past experience or bad memories
- Overanalyzing every situation
- Jumping to conclusions without any practical reasoning
- Not being grateful and complaining about everything provided to you
Many of us can relate to all of these points, and many of us can only agree with some of these points. But ultimately we all agree that there needs to be a protocol that we follow for ourselves in order to deal with all the negativity around us and have a more positive approach towards how we deal with the difficult situations in our life.
According to research, an average human being has around 60,000-80,000 thoughts in a day. Sounds fascinating right? Out of these, around 85% of these are negative thoughts, 15% of which are based merely on some baseless assumptions that our mind came up with subconsciously at some point in time. All these statistics make one point very clear that no matter how intelligent, optimistic, carefree, or an over thinker you are, you may have undergone some sort of negative feeling, resulting from various external and internal reasons.
“An entire sea of water can’t sink a ship unless it gets inside the ship. Similarly, the negativity of the world can’t put you down unless you allow it to get inside you.”
With a fast-moving life and all things available to everyone right at their fingertips, we are loaded with information coming from every direction. As clear as it can be, the above-stated quote subtly indicates how important it is for us to brace our minds from all the negativity prevailing around. We all have a routine of cleansing and bathing every day to get rid of all the dirt and grime from our bodies. Similarly, equal attention should be given to cleansing our mind, so that the quality of our thoughts is always in sync with a healthy quality of living. To ensure this, we need to focus on three major steps-
- How to control a negative thought?
- How to deal with a negative thought?
- How to overcome a negative thought?
At a glance, these may seem all similar in nature but on a closer look they all are co-dependent in nature. Let’s see how-
Whenever we come across any situation that activates the negative side of us, instead of immediately reacting upon it take a moment to think. Is it really something that you can afford to be sad over? Will you be content with this way of dealing with any problem in due course of your life? Will being the negative change the situation into something fruitful for you? Just having this few seconds of patience will give you a lot of control over how you let this affect you. On practicing it, you will notice that you are no longer a prisoner of your impulses that spoil your entire day just by dealing with a situation the wrong way. Try to find out what positive learning outcome the situation has to offer you despite being difficult. Having a positive approach towards it will help in controlling the immediate spreading like wildfire, of a negative thought in your mind.
Next, let’s consider, you have, standing in front of you a giant obstacle that has completely immersed all your logical senses and problem-solving skills within it leaving no room inside your brain for finding any way out of it. This means that the negativity has already entered your system and all you are left with now is to do nothing but deal with it. You can either feel pity for yourself while getting deep into your own negativity or you can look the obstacle dead in the eye and accept it as a positive challenge, finding out solutions rather than looking for reasons as to why this happened to you. Obviously, the second option is the most appropriate. This way, while you are dealing with your difficulty you will be learning a lot through your problem-solving techniques.
Also Read: How to Stop Negative Thinking
Finally, once you understand this mechanism of how our brain plays tricks with us while dealing with any kind of negativity, it becomes less of a headache and more of brainstorming while handling difficulties. You come to know that not only have a positive attitude towards almost anything that happens to you, will lead to your increased peace of mind but it will also give you a wider perspective towards different methods and ideas that are waiting to be discovered.
All this will slowly and gradually help in building up a positive attitude. And you may not realize when you went from being a pessimist to an optimist without putting much effort.
Here are some things to try out for a good dose of positivity:
- After waking up in the morning, stay away from your phone for at least half an hour. Never check your emails or messages right after you wake up. Give that time to yourself by taking in some fresh air and drinking lots of water
- Maintain a gratitude journal and everyday update a list of all the things you are grateful for in your life. Doing so will fill you with positive energy
- Talk to people around you and let them know how you feel about certain either good or bad. Expressing your views will make you feel content and will keep away any kind of overthinking or overanalyzing
(Read more about effective communications skill by clicking here https://www.interviewcracker.com/post/importance-of-communication-skills-for-students)
- Read about famous and successful people or listen to their interviews. How they lead on their lives and their happiness mantras will inspire you in many ways
- Exercise, workout, meditate, and do things to keep your body fit and energetic. This will boost up your metabolism and help keep all the negativity at bay.
- Stay away from all the negative company in your life. You don’t need any of those people around you that spread pessimism and hatred.
Train your mind to see the good in everything. Positivity is a choice. The happiness in your life depends on the quality of your thoughts.